Early bird entry fee R825 excluding VAT from 22 March until 21 June 2022
Early bird entry price ends, and the regular entry fee of R1050 excluding VAT applies from 22 June to 19 July 2022
Final entries close
Final delivery of samples
What does the stickers look like?
The stickers measure 25 mm across and are pictured below.
Silver and Gold awards will be awarded.
The verdict of the experts during the 2021 awards
Môreson received the 2021 Trophy for Cap Classique of the Year for their 2015 Miss Molly Cap Classique
For this event all the wine and spirit judges are women, who will each judge according to their own taste. The judges are well qualified to select the best wines or spirits but being an all women panel, their vote is also a reliable indication of what women consumers would prefer.
Trophies will be awarded for:
Trophies to be awarded for:
- Best Cap Classique
- Best red wine on show
- Woman Winemaker of the Year
- Woman Distiller of the Year
Why focus on women on the wine and spirit market?
Women are the biggest wine and spirit drinking segment
56% of wine drinkers in South Africa are female and wine is usually their first alcohol choice.
Women are the main buyers of wine
In the USA women women buy 70% of wine that is intended for home consumption, and 80% of the total wine sold. In the UK women buy 70% of the wine sold.
Quality awards strongly influence buying decisions
If a buying decision needs to be made for an unknown product awards have a strong influence in finalising such a decision.
WINE AND SPIRIT JUDGED BY WOMEN FOR EVERYBODY
Women make up a significant percentage of the wine and spirit buying public, yet surprisingly few marketing drives target women specifically. One might think a buyer is a buyer, whether male or female, and it doesn’t matter that the one market segment is neglected, but it’s been proven that men and women have different brand responses and buying patterns.
Too often, marketers underestimate the purchasing power of women and simply neglect them in their marketing strategies. The Lumo Awards aim to focus on this consumer market by having women judges whose endorsements serve as a recommendation in order to influence female consumers and wine buyers.
All winemakers and distillers, male as well as female, can enter the Lumo Awards and all products will be judged on merit. If your winery or distillery has a woman at the helm, she will be eligible to be awarded a trophy for the “Woman Winemaker of the Year” or “Woman Distiller of the Year”.
Trusted by wine and spirit lovers since 2016
Some of our partners that help make this event possible
The Theron du Plessis group offers a comprehensive range of financial services to its clients from various sectors of the economy, situated in all provinces of South Africa as well as internationally.
All winemakers and distillers, both male and female, can enter the Lumo Awards and all products will be judged on merit.
If your winery or distillery has a woman at the helm, she will be eligible to be awarded a trophy for “Woman Winemaker of the Year” or “Woman Distiller of the Year”.
The judges use quality as their only guideline, and judge all products on merit.
The Lumo Awards will confer silver and gold awards to signify good quality. The trophies to be awarded are:
- Best Cap Classique
- Best red wine on show
- Woman Winemaker of the Year
- Woman Distiller of the Year
You’re not obligated to order stickers; if you do not want any, indicate the number on the entry form as 0 (zero). Once the results have been revealed, you have to take the number of stickers you indicated. Stickers will be available approximately two weeks after the winners have been notified.
- Early bird entries are R825 excluding VAT per entry from 22 March to 21 June 2022.
- Normal entries are R1050 excluding VAT per entry from 22 June to 19 July 2022.
- Stickers will be available at R395 excluding VAT for a roll of 1000.
A wine sample has to comprise only three 750ml bottles and a spirit sample has to comprise only two 750ml bottles, or the volumetric equivalent thereof.
The tasting procedure will be audited to ensure the judges are not influenced; and the tastings are done blind and conform to international standards.
- Perlé or Slightly Sparkling Wine Any sugar level
- Sparkling Wine (Non-MCC) RS<=15 g/L
- Sparkling Wine (Non-MCC) RS>15 g/L
- Méthode Cap Classique (MCC)
Delivery of Samples
Lanzerac Service Entrance
1 Lanzerac Road
Drive along Jonkershoek road towards Jonkershoek in Stellenbosch. Security will assist at the service entrance at Lanzerac when you sign in, and point you towards the drop-off area.
Contact Person: Michelle Grimbeek
Tel: 082 773 0738
Rules of the event
- Submission of samples and/or payment of entry fees constitutes acceptance of all the rules.
- Tank samples will not be accepted as entries into the event.
- All non-flavoured wine must be accompanied by a SAWIS (South African Wine Industry Information & Systems – www.sawis.co.za) application number, and the stickers awarded may only be applied to the wine attached to the application number. If a certain wine has more than one application number, the wines must be entered separately.
- Each non-flavoured wine has to have a current WSR2 or WSR4 certificate showing that the wine was approved on the strength of taste and analysis by SAWIS, or the Department of Agriculture Wine-on-Line screen capture printout to show the wine has a current tasting date. This certificate must be current (i.e. the wine must have been tasted and approved by the board no later than one year before in the case of a white wine and 18 months in the case of a red wine). A sample will not be accepted without this certificate. No refunds will be paid if the WSR2 or WSR4 certificate is not current.
- Each category will be determined by the product information on the label.
- There is no minimum stock quantity needed to enter a product.
- There is no limit to the number of entries per producer. However, each wine, flavoured wine or spirit may only be entered once into the event (even if it is under a different label). Any participant may enter more than one wine, flavoured wine or spirits in a class. Examples are wineries that produce several wines of the same varietal type, but with different vineyard designations or vintages.
- A wine that has not been certified as a cultivar wine, although it may be one, may be entered into a blended category.
- A product that received an award in a previous year’s event may be entered again.
- Entries and registration will be accepted online from the entry date stated on the website up to midnight on the close of entries. Proof of payment must be emailed to email@example.com before midnight on the closing date for entries to be accepted.
- Invoices for entries must be printed online by the participant, and paid before the final close of entries.
- A wine sample must comprise of three 750ml bottles, or the volumetric equivalent thereof and a spirit sample of two 750ml bottles, or the volumetric equivalent thereof.
- The samples must be delivered to the drop-off point between 09:00 and 16:00 on the two days allocated to be accepted into the event.
- Winners will be notified by email, and stickers will be available for collection about two weeks later. Proof of payment of both the entries and stickers is needed before stickers can be collected.
- Quantities of stickers ordered that are not multiples of 1000 will be rounded up and invoiced as such.
- By entering the event, the entrant commits to paying for the number of stickers indicated before the required deadline for the products that receive awards.
- The producer may only use the stickers awarded on the particular product that was entered and won the award. Stickers may not be put onto another batch of product similar to the one entered that did not win an award in this year’s event. Participants must always market their winning products in conjunction with the year the product won the award.
- The event logo or stickers may not be displayed on their own for purposes of marketing, but must be accompanied by the details of the particular product that won, or may be photographed on the product that won the award.
- Any samples remaining at the conclusion of the judging becomes the property of the event.
- The judging process will be entirely confidential and no details will be released concerning the judging process and reasoning. No feedback of any nature will be given.
- The decision of the judges is final and no changes will be made to awards after the judging process is complete. In the event of a dispute, this event organiser’s decision will be final.
- No refund of entry fees will be made.
- By entering the event, the entrant states that the information provided is factually and legally correct.
- If a participant does not follow all the rules of the event or legal requirements as required by SAWIS, the event organisers have the right to disqualify the particular entry concerned or the entire year’s entries, or ban the producer from the event.
- The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd will not make available a list of all the producers that took part in the event, or reveal the scores assigned to any product, or make available the details of products that were not awarded. It remains the prerogative of The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd to publish results of awarded products as they see fit.
- Entries will only be accepted in English.
- Entries must be completed in full, and entries that were not completed in full could be declared void.
- Employees of the event or their immediate family are not allowed to enter the event.
- If an entrant does not comply with the rules of the event, their entries may be cancelled.
- The producer whose product is entered must be fully aware of the submission, and must grant the person entering the event the right to enter the product and order stickers. If this is not found to be the case, the person entering the event will be liable for any financial commitment made.
- In the event that for any reason possible the judging cannot take place, or entrants cannot be given results, half of the entrant’s entry fee will be refunded, and no other damages will be awarded to the event, or any of the companies involved.
- For any claim to be made against The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd for defective stickers, the stickers must be returned to Postnet in Stellenbosch within 7 days after date of delivery to Postnet. The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd will within its discretion either replace or pass a credit for defective stickers so proven, but shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, or any other loss, including loss to third parties and legal expenses, arising out of errors in carrying out providing stickers, or by delay in delivery, or by unsuitability of goods for use intended.
- The event organisers cannot be held liable for any damage incurred to stickers once the stickers have been accepted by the client or by a third party transportation company.
- This event organisers may change the rules of the event without notice, and publish them on the website without giving notice to entrants. If an entrant does not want to comply with the new rules of the event, they can cancel their entries up to the date that the entries close. After this time, entrants have to comply with the rules of the event.